Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fresh Baked: Apricot Oatmeal Cookies

Ok,  I've got the recipe, I've got the pictures, I'm ready to post!



These are the most bestest oatmeal cookies I have ever made.  I have baked oatmeal cookies from dozens of different recipes in my past dozen or so years, and these are by far the winner.     Crunchy and chewy at the same time, the way an oatmeal cookie is supposed to be (in my opinion)

Step #1: Go to your pantry and make sure you have oatmeal.  I forgot this step, and had to run all around my neighborhood looking for a friendly neighbor with oatmeal who was home.  I had to ring 3 doorbells and trudge through 3 foot snow banks.  I looked crazy.  I am crazy, but I have nice neighbors, and in the end I got my oatmeal -  (make sure you have 3 cups)

back to the baking,

Step #2:   Gather the rest of your ingredients:

ingredients: 
2 eggs
1 cup dried apricots, chopped

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar

1 Tbsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinammon

3 cups oatmeal (quick cooking or old fashioned, not instant)

Step #3: 

Beat eggs in small bowl and dump in chopped apricots.  Let them sit.  For a while.  I went out and did my grocery shopping with George, while the apricots sat in their bowl waiting.  Getting soft and squishy.





Step #4: 
 
Preheat your oven to 350.


Cream butter and sugars with mixer.

Combine your dry ingredients in a separate bowl : flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.

Add your dry ingredients to creamed mixture and mix well. 

Next add in the apricot, eggs, and your tbsp of vanilla.

Last, dump in your oatmeal and mix well. 



(I just keep mixing this with my mixer as I'm adding new ingredients, because it's easier and I'm lazy, but you can begin to mix by hand after your dry ingredients are incorporated well)

Step #5:
Form into balls on your cookie sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes, until golden but still soft (!!!)



Transfer carefully from cookie sheet onto wire rack and let cool.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.


Yum!

Step #6:  Make yourself a cup of tea and eat as many as you can before George wakes up from his nap.  Hurry!  Here he comes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...