Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Z is for Zigzag... another Hat...


Last week I knit a hat for myself that was claimed by my son before I could even finish weaving in the ends.

So I decided to knit another one.  For myself.

The "Z is for Zigzag" Hat.

Pattern below for your knitting enjoyment...




Yarn  = 1 main color (MC) and 2 contrasting colors (CC1, and CC2) of sport weight yarn.
Needle = 3.5 mm circular needle of preferred length (mine is 40" - I knit in the round using Magic Loop)
Gauge =  27 stitches and 32 rows = 4" square in zigzag pattern.
Size = me (adult, med/large)


**********************************************************************************
Stitches:

SSK = slip, slip, knit slipped stitches together

K2tog = knit 2 together

M1 = make one stitch

SK2P = slip 1, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over

K3tog = knit 3 together

**********************************************************************************
ZigZag Pattern (multiple of 12 stitches)


Round 1:   K1, M1, K3, SSK, K2tog, K3, M1, K1 (repeat across round)
Round 2:  Knit all stitches


**********************************************************************************
Pattern:


Using Main Color, cast on 120 stitches, (or other multiple of 12 stitches to achieve your desired fit).

Join for working in the round, and work for 1 inch in 1x1 ribbing.

Body of Hat:

Switch to Contrast Color #1, and work Rounds 1 and 2 in Zig Zag Pattern.

Continue in Zig Zag Pattern for 6.5" (or desired length) changing colors as you go as follows:
                  work 4 rows CC#1
                  work 2 rows MC
                  work 4 rows CC#2
                  work 2 rows MC
                  etc...

Begin Decreases for Crown: (Ideally - Start your decreases with the first row after a switch to a Contrast Color)

1st decrease

Round 1 = *K1, M1, K2, SK2P, K3tog, K2, M1, K1*,  repeat between * * across round. (100 Stitches)
Round 2 = Knit all stitches
Round 3 = *K1, M1, K2, SSK, K2tog, K2, M1, K1*, repeat between * * across round.
Round 4 = Knit all stitches

2nd decrease

Round 1 = *K1, M1, K1, SK2P, K3tog, K1, M1, K1*, repeat between * * across round. (80 stitches)
Round 2 = knit all stitches
Round 3 = *K1, M1, K1, SSK, K2tog, K1, M1, K1*, repeat between * * across round.
Round 4 = knit all stitches

3rd decrease

Round 1 = *K1, M1, SK2P, K3tog, M1, K1*, repeat between * * across round (60 stitches)
Round 2 = Knit all stitches
Round 3 = *K1, M1, SSK, K2tog, M1, K1*, repeat between * * across round
Round 4 = Knit all stitches

Final decrease rounds

Round 1 = *K1, SSK, K2tog, K1*, repeat between * * across round (40 stitches)
Round 2 =  knit all stitches
Round 3 = *SSK, K2tog*, repeat across round (20 stitches)
Round 4 = knit all stitches
Round 5 = K2tog across round.  (10 stitches remain)

Break yarn and pull end through remaining 10 stitches.

Weave in ends.

Hide hat from your children (if applicable).


If you end up making this hat, or if you find any errors in the pattern, or have any questions, please let me know!

*******************************************

Reading: This week I finished my book club book for the month, which was Child 44.  Very good, but not at all the "feel good" book of the year!  Depressing.  So now I'm reading something "fun" - Catching Fire.

I'm sure to finish that quickly, so I'm looking for suggestions for my next read.  Something happy would be great, as my last 3 or 4 reads have been real downers...

Posted along with Ginny at Small Things.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you made a hat for yourself and thank you for sharing the pattern. I would love to cast on a few hats to have in my gift basket for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! I like the yarn you used, it compliments the pattern so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hat looks gorgeous. I love the bluey purple colours. Not sure if you can hide a hat from children, but I hope you don't lose this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your pattern! This hat is very cute and looks like it's a pretty fast knit. Love the shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely hat :) Thank you for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...