Thursday, December 1, 2011
I wanted to make a priority of posting at least something here on my blog this week. I have not
forgotten about the blog - I feel best when I'm here regularly, writing, and posting what's going on in our family.
But it's not always possible.
I very often lately am finding myself thinking 'oh - I can't wait to share this on the blog' - and then a week goes
by and it never happens.
And that's OK.
One of the ways i'm attempting to deal with the stress of Christmas, is to let go of expectations.
For instance, My Grand Advent Calendar Plan was to knit 24 little mittens, and then fill them with goodies before the 1st.
By the 28th of November I had 6 mittens done. And realizing that my time to work on knitting mittens was exactly 45 minutes to an hour after I get home from working the evening shift and before nodding off at night - that meant that I needed to produce at least 9 mittens each of the remaining nights, and at the speed of roughly 7 minutes per mitten (and I'm rounding up with my time here).
I am a fast knitter, i think, but I am not a robot or a machine.
I had a long talk with myself and we determined my mitten making dreams were actually tipping all the way over from ambitious to fully delusional.
So I headed straight to our winter mitten/scarf/hat bin, and then when that still wasn't making my magic number of "24" I got out the paper and staples and made some mittens the quick and easy way. Walah!
Our Finished Advent Calendar.
I got to bed around 11:00 - 11:45. Maybe 12:15 at the latest.
I didn't have the smoothest of mornings, consequently, but the calendar is finished and that's what's important.
And in other news, a handful of other little happy things this morning, because I haven't done this in a while:
1. The first egg. I think it's a "Deb". But it might be a "Celia"... It's definitely NOT a "Lill" who turned out to be a rooster.
2. Clementines. Oh boy - do I love them.
3. Egg Nog. Yep - I love that too.
4. New books at the library.
5. Thursdays. (My last night of work for the week)
6. And these new little guys. It's a new series George is working on. They are everywhere.
He actually calls them his "little guys"
7. A small attempt at greater organizational living: a new mail/library book/key station right inside the front door.
8. Lastly - my new shoes - a nice new pair of black leather mary janes. :)
How about you? Any crazy holiday projects you've finished, abandoned, or modified in order to save
What happy little things are you finding this week?
Posted by Crystal at 8:40 AM